Butter to line pan
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
½ cup plus 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice
1 ¼ cups sugar
½ cup plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (or other oil)
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 medium zucchini, grated and squeezed dry of excess liquid
1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9” square pan. Dust the pan with flour, tap out any excess.
- Place ½ cup chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl.
- Combine remaining flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat the sugar, ½ cup olive oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until smooth and pale, about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour-cocoa mixture; beat on low speed (or by hand) until combined, about 2 minutes, (the batter should be thick).
- Add zucchini and beat until combined, about 2 more minutes.
- Fold in the flour-coated chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely.
- Make the glaze: combine the remaining 1/3 cup chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon olive oil, and honey in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring, until the chocolate is melted. Spread over the cake, then cut into pieces.
Approximate preparation time: 1 hour (including cook-time)
(adapted from a recipe published in Food Network Magazine, July/August 2013)